[V3dot10] And to 3.10

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 21 13:20:19 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> As I understand 3.10 is not really about adding new functionality. I aim
> to test everything that is needed for the build process in 3.9.1,
> freeing 3.10 to focus on removing and refactoring things.
>
> At present as I understand it 3.10 is 3.9 with some pieces removed. To
> move forward I think that we need to capture Edgars "piece removal"
> process. Then it can easily be applied to 3.9.1 also.

My vision for 3.10 is not about adding new functionality, but it is
not really about removing and refactoring things, either.  It is about
having a reliable process for accomplishing the radical changes that
are necessary.  I think that in the near term, it is more important to
remove things than to add things, but in the long run adding things is
just as important.

Piece removal is good when it can happen, but we need to make more
radical changes than that.  I have posted several times that I intend
to use Pavel's KernelImage.  But we need to first get the testing
infrastructure going so that we can find out the ways in which it is
broken and can fix it.  (I don't know for a fact that there is
anything broken about it, but it is hard for me to believe that
anything so radical won't break something, and we need to know
*exactly* what it is before we commit to it.)  In my opinion, and in
the opinion of people who have worked with Squeak a lot longer than I
have, the KernelImage shows the direction that Squeak should go, and
the process that Pavel has worked out seems to me to be an essential
part of that direction.

-Ralph