[V3dot10] needed tool

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 21 14:31:07 UTC 2007

Markus said that one of the big problems during harvesting is that
when you read change sets into your image, some of the methods get put
into unexpected MC packages, and the harvester doesn't save those
packages and so loses the code.

A change set might have code that goes in several packages.  There
ought to be a way to see all the packages that are influenced by a
change set.  I don't know of any tool that does this.  Is there one?

Class ChangeSet should be changed to indicate the MC packages that it
uses.  Also, the change sorter should display the packages, and let
you save them.  Ideally, you could save to all the MC packages at
once, and merging would be atomic, and you could use the same comment
for all updates.  But first, someone should hack ChangeSet to indicate
the packages it is influencing.  Do I have a volunteer?

-Ralph