[V3dot10] Prototyping an autobuild system

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 21 19:23:18 UTC 2007

I still don't understand.  I suspect you are assuming something
different from me, but I don't know what.  For one thing, why did you
bring up branches?  The problem as I see it is not branches, it is
components.  We should try to not have branches.

> If that was the case then, the process we need is already complete. We
> have the scripts already they just need refining. You could also say, if
> anyone wants to see the results for testing an image, they can build
> that image and test it themselves. Why then would we need a test server
> at all?

The reason is that there are many components that need to be tested.
In addition to testing the base image, we need to test each component
in a fresh image, and it is too much work to do all this testing by
hand.  By the end of the 3.10 release process, I hope we have a
hundred images we have to test.  (Not necessarily a hundred
components, though I think the 3.9 Package Universe has that many.)

Moreover, tests should usually pass.  You only want to look at the
ones that do not.  When tests fail, you want to know what test failed
so you can run it again, but it shouldn't take much time to build the
image and run the test again.

-Ralph