[V3dot10] needed tool

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 00:51:43 UTC 2007

Branches, hmm

Every time you pick a fresh image and begin working on a pet project you
are infact branching. The single stream model is not actually in sync
with the way that we actually work, and so requires special effort
(mental and practical) to integrate all the branches into the main
stream, not to mention the political stuff that surrounds getting ideas
adopted in squeak.

We have X-hundred developers all working in separate branches, of these
10 or so might be interested in projects related to the base squeak system.

By supporting the experimenters-branch in the build process itself,
ensures that all the information needed for the integration of branches
is available as early as possible. Making this public, brings improved
communication, and the opportunity to fail faster and learn faster, the
feedback loop is tightened.

As an example, I think 1) AutoStart needs a reimplementation because
it's entangled with the Squeak browser plug in code, and waits for
morphic to start before doing anything. This will need to be fixed for
any minimal images (I guess) 2) "FileDirectory must die", a second major
project which will take some doing, (I have a fantastic idea for a
replacement!) 3) Anything to do with morphic.

Each of the above, if I were working on them, I would do in a separate
image, because each has the potential to make the system fragile. For
example, you could break AutoStart in such a way as to be unable to
start an image at all. Morphic can break the GUI very easily, and If you
mess with File IO, then the sources, changes and other fundamental stuff
can break easily.

So each of these is a branch.

If I remember the extreme programming ideals, write tests/behaviour
specs first,  fail fast, iterate quickly, learn. Where can I best do
this? Possibly in the release auto build and test system. It does not
make sense to have to wait until my module is virtually ready for
deployment before adopting the testing tools. Therefore if the testing
tool environment supports branches up front then it supports all three
of the projects.

I have just done a 13 hour washing up and preparing mussels shift... so
am I talking any sense?

Keith