[V3dot10] needed tool

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 22 15:42:02 UTC 2007

On 1/21/07, Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Experiences Squeakers, let me understand this problem some more. I understand
> how a changeset can contain code that "belongs" to several Monticello
> Packages. What I do not know is how much code is currently maintained in
> Monticello vs Changesets.

The 3.9 group put ALL of the code in the basic image in Monticello.
The MC packages that result are not what I think of as a package, a
coherent component that can be used or not used as needed.  They ran
into a number of problems using MC.  Nevertheless, they succeeded, and
their opinion is that we should go forward and improve how MC is used
rather than go back to change sets.

So, ALL code in the image is in Monticello from the point of view of
the release team.  The average Squeak programmer does not have to pay
any attention to this and can continue to file out changesets.  But
the release team needs to convert between the two.

-Ralph Johnson