[V3dot10] English, German grammar rules [was: Removing obsolete Players on a crowded image]

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Jan 22 21:41:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:34:21 +0100, Bert Freudenberg
<bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> Am Jan 22, 2007 um 19:52  schrieb Edgar J. De Cleene:
>> I should re begin my Deutsche learning ... its closer to Smalltalk what
>> English or Spanish
>
> Really? I always thought English grammar  well fits woth Smalltalk
> syntax. In German, as well as Spanish, you have all these special rules
> depending on gender and case, forms change in seemingly arbitrary ways,
> you get all kinds of suffixes etc. Where as in English you can get away
> with rather simple rules.

English rules are as non-easy as rules of any other [natural] language,
when squeezed through a parser. One [parser] that does English and German
(besides other langauges) is

-
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Hausser+Newcat+Parsing+Natural+Language

Caution: there probably are as many [Lisp] parentheses as words in that
book :)

English (and German, my mother tounge) was never again the same to me
after I got used to Hausser's [Lisp] grammar rules. If you're going to
read Hausser, don't forget to get yourself a good wine :)

/Klaus