[V3dot10] [Q] About updates, take two

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jan 23 12:43:42 UTC 2007

Am Jan 23, 2007 um 11:43  schrieb Edgar J. De Cleene:

> And someone could help this old dog learn new tricks ?
>
> readServerUpdatesThrough: maxNumber saveLocally: saveLocally
> updateImage:
> updateImage
>     "Scan the update server(s) for unassimilated updates. If
> maxNumber is
> not nil, it represents the highest-numbered update to load.  This
> makes it
> possible to update only up to a particular point.   If saveLocally
> is true,
> then save local copies of the update files on disc.  If updateImage
> is true,
> then absorb the updates into the current image.
>
> A file on the server called updates.list has the names of the last
> N update
> files.

It is downloaded, modified locally, and uploaded. Usually by ftp. If
everything is configured correctly, publishing an update takes just
choosing it in the file list, selecting "broadcast as update" from
the context menu, entering your ftp password, and you are done.

This takes care of creating a unique update number, uploading the
changeset with the right name, adding its name to the right section
in the updates.list, etc.

Alternatively, you can just upload your changeset manually and add a
line to the list file.

> We look backwards for the first one we do not have, and start there"
> "* To add a new update:  Name it starting with a new two-digit code.
> * Do not use %, /, *, space, or more than one period in the name of an
> update file.
> * The update name does not need to have any relation to the version
> name.
> * Figure out which versions of the system the update makes sense for.
> * Add the name of the file to each version's category below.

One update stream contains changesets for multiple image versions,
which the comment's author calls "categories". Categories in
updates.list are separated by a line starting with # followed by the
version string (usually, Smalltalk version). The same update can be
put into two or more categories, which lets you publish fixes for
multiple image versions.

> * Put this file and the update file on all of the servers.
> *
> * To make a new version of the system:  Pick a name for it (no
> restrictions)
> * Put # and exactly that name on a new line at the end of this file.
> * During the release process, fill in exactly that name in the
> dialog box.
> * Put this file on the server."
> "When two sets of updates need to use the same directory, one of
> them has a
> * in its
> serverUrls description.  When that is true, the first word of the
> description is put on
> the front of 'updates.list', and that is the index file used."

In former days, there were two update streams, a public and an
internal one. The public one used updates.list, the internal one was
named SqCupdates.list. That latter name is constructed by just naming
that menu entry "*SqC internal updates". The "*" indicates to prepend
the first word to the update list name.

- Bert -