[V3dot10] Case Study 1 (Answering Milan from needed Tool

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 16:28:35 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2007, at 16:03 , Keith Hodges wrote:
>
>>> [13:33] <matmo> Keithy: hi there. Remember my duff image problem
>>> last week? I got back into it by removing the FFI dll in the hope
>>> that it's absence would generate an error before it got to my stuff
>>> and it worked :-)
>> In previous emails I mentioned the desire to rewrite AutoStart, this
>> is why!
>
> "this"? What does AutoStart have to do with FFI? IMHO that would
> warrant a discussion on squeak-dev.
>
> - Bert -
AutoStart handles the running of Startup scripts/documents. StartUp
scripts are run AFTER Morphic is up and running. This means that there
is no chance at all whatsoever of fixing a broken image by using a
startup script.

All we were trying to do was to interrupt squeak before morphic
processes get going so that we could delete a broken process. Removing
the FFI plugin to achieve this is 'not standard procedure', neither
should it be.

If 3.10 is aiming to remove Morphic and still be usable in some manner,
then it is worth having a look at the AutoStart logic, in order to build
some form of image fixability in by design rather than accident.

cheers

Keith