[V3dot10] [Q] About updates, take 3

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 24 17:03:32 UTC 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 16:11 , Ralph Johnson wrote:

> I tried the update from a 3.9 image with very little extra in it, and
> it worked.  I liked the look of the background.  Calm, yet
> distinctive.
>
> I wonder, though, whether it is a good idea to have updates that
> delete things?  We don't have a check for whether there are any users
> of those things.  I'd be a lot happier to delete things from someone
> else's image if we first checked to make sure that they were not used.
> I suppose that is why we tell them to save the image first.

I'd strongly suggest to move update 7068 from the 3.9 stream to
3.10alpha. This will hurt all people who just try what the update
button might do in the 3.9 release. They should not be taken to
3.10alpha without asking!

What I wrote before, and what was done in former releases, was to
have a changeset that *asks* people if they want to move their images
to the next alpha.

Any actual change to the image should be put into the 3.10alpha stream.

- Bert -