[V3dot10] [Q] About updates, take 3

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 18:46:08 UTC 2007

> You want people to update often, so stuff gets tested. Once someone
> did update, there is no going back with that image. Also, with a
> strictly additive stream of updates you can be much more sure what
> state the image is in.
>
> - Bert -

I am not sure I agree, I have received many an update without having a
clue as to what it has done to my system. In contrast to using
monticello packages where I know what a package is supposed to do.

There is a whole lot of faith goes into pushing that update button.

I think that monticello woud be much improved if you could attach
comments to a package after it has been committed to the repository.
This would provide more context to users as to what exactly they are

Compare this with the dev image where you can review the script to see
exactly what has been loaded and how it has been configured.

Keith