[V3dot10] The Experience to make decisions.

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 09:49:16 UTC 2007

Ralph wrote:

>I'm going to try to get people to look at all the
issues
>before we take them.  We are not experienced enough
to make all these
>decisions.

-----

This is one of the profoundest problems of harvesting
fixes in the squeak community.
I know as a bug tracker and fixer that I can post
issues to mantis (and solve some of them) on my own.
But that is not enough to get them included in an
official update.  Someone has to come along and take a
look at my work and then pronounce it blessed.
Further more, I want that extra pair of eyes. The
quicker I solve a problem the more likely I am to have
overlooked something. If someone does not actually
check it before it is put in the image then a
percentage of the fixes will have problems which will
affect and annoy many others.  The extra pair of eyes
keeps that percentage down.

There are many who wish to contribute. To put the
burden of testing and blessing on just a few (who
would rather be spending their time making their own
contributions) is unfair and burdensome. And it
creates the bottleneck that prevents rapid progress.
In a community of self-funded developers it pretty
much won't fly.

My best thought on a solution to the problem is to
apply the pair programming concept.
For each fix ask for a second contributer to look at
the work of the first. (They can even switch off and
help w/ each others fixes or round robin with others
or just catch as catch can.) The important thing is
that the release/harvest/development team have the
right (and pretty much the responsibility) to reject
code that has not be code reviewed by a second pair of
eyes.

This has the potential for distributing the work load
to insure some quality in the code and allow a large
quantity of code to be vetted w/o over burdening the
release team or harvesting folks.

Beyond that I think it is pretty important to keep a
track record of the code contributers. Anyone should
have the right to make mistakes. However, if they
have, they should be encouraged to slow down their
contirbutions while they learn to do better testing
prior to offering their fixes.

Yours in service, --Jerome Peace

>I'm going to try to get people to look at all the
issues
>before we take them.  We are not experienced enough
to make all these
>decisions.
>[V3dot10] Re: Mantis report and some more
>Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
>Wed Jan 24 13:54:50 UTC 2007
>
>> From Keith page and following links
>> 0003574 status is new, but have a .cs and reporter
is johnmci . I think if I
.

>In general, let us only go with "closed" issues for
now.  Try to
>confirm bug and solution and post a message to the
issue saying what