[V3dot10] Prototyping an autobuild system

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 25 15:30:41 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> i.e. we would have two main build scripts available, and hence have only
> two pages responsible for triggering them.
>
> 1) Make:From39To391.action
> 2) Make:From39To310.action

I don't understand this.  Maybe it is just an implementation detail,
part of your design of how it will work, not part of what users have
to know.

I expect the test server will be used by people submitting bug fixes.
Before people say "I'm done", but probably after they put it in
Mantis, they will go to the test server and make sure that it doesn't
break any other package by running it in all the standard
configurations.  We could easily have a hundred configurations,
because each optional package will be its own configuration, and then
there will be configurations that are combinations of packages.
> -stable,  -unstable, and -kph are branches

"Branches" is the wrong word.  These are different scripts.  They are
different configurations.  They are not alternative versions of
packages.

Just so nobody is confused, I am NOT planning to use Installer to
build the base image.  I will use it for testing, and perhaps for
building other images, but for building the base image, I intend to
use the update stream, ScriptLoader, and MC, pretty much like the
previous release team did.

i want to make testing a much more important activity in 3.10 then it
has ever been in Squeak.  So, having a good test server is crucial.  I
think that if we improve testing then we will make a lot of other
things easier.

-Ralph Johnson