[V3dot10] [Q] About updates, take 3

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 25 16:14:57 UTC 2007

Edgar, one reason I am slow to respond is that I am busy.  Another is
that I am not really a Squeak expert (though I am a Smalltalk expert)
and so I want to think about things a little.  But a very important
reason to be slow is that it gives more people time to comment, and
the more comments, the more we know.

You are right that it is time to release an image.  But I think it
should not be something that people get by updating from 3.9.   People
are too likely to get it by accident.  Moreover, not all changes can
be in the update stream.  Imagine the day we finally install
KernelImage and have Morphic all loadable from MC!  I don't think we
are going to be able to put that in the update stream.

> > I use ReleaseBuilder because seems me right reuse it.
>
> Yes, it's the right place to put cleanup stuff. But ReleaseBuilder is
> meant to prepare an image for an actual release. For a person,
> perhaps you, to take a fully updated image and put the finishing
> touches on it - cleaning caches, undeclared, obsoletes, resetting
> author initials, etc. pp. You *never* want to do that to some
> unsuspecting user's image. A call to it certainly should not be put
> into the update stream. It's okay to push the class to a user, but
> you should not actually run it via an update.

This is an example of the valuable insight that we get by waiting.
This ought to be in the class comment.

-Ralph