[V3dot10] Prototyping an autobuild system

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 18:37:16 UTC 2007

> Just so nobody is confused, I am NOT planning to use Installer to
> build the base image.  I will use it for testing, and perhaps for
> building other images, but for building the base image, I intend to
> use the update stream, ScriptLoader, and MC, pretty much like the
> previous release team did.
My suggestion is to work as per the steps below. What it appears you are
saying is that you are going to build the image using mainly steps 5 and
6 which are arguably the most difficult.

This approach also has the side effect of being potentially outside of
an effective iterative loop since the update stream, and releases to
monticello are cumulative, they build one upon another. So you can only
cumulative change.

1. Start with a fresh 3.9 image,

2. Scripts on community wiki:
load fixes,
load packages,
apply categorisations
major refactorings

3. save changed image.

3.b generate derived images loading/unloading monticello packages

4. publish for user test and auto test

Iterate 2,3,4 again and again until satisfied.

Therefore there is no need for an update stream for users to try it out.

When ready to release a beta...

5. Save all packages to MC

6. Release as image,and update stream to users, as per script loader and
friends.

7 generate derived images as per 3.b  If any derived image, or the base
image is a trimmed down one then it will need the MC packages from step
5 to load back in any optional packages.

just my 2p

Keith