[V3dot10] needed tool

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 27 05:46:13 UTC 2007

On 2007 January 26 07:31, Ralph Johnson wrote:
> > Thanks. Back to Squeak for a sec, because all code (class, method) is now
> > separated to belong to exactly one Package, would it be possible (and
> > let's assume first we are strongly typed in Squeak, so we know the
> > receiver always), to write a program which,  by looking at senders and
> > implementors, would generate a "package dependency graph"? Am I missing
> > something substantial (I am sure I am :) ).
>
> This would make a great research project.  I am not going to expect it
> to be done before the end of 3.10, however!

I agree, although I'd like to give it a try at some point, especially when
Eliot offered his code. But first I want to finish the base eToys tests that
got stalled completely this week. :(

> The easier solution is tests.  Every package should have some tests.
> When you test a package, you load all its prerequisites and run the
> tests not only for the package but for all its prerequisites.  Thus,
> you test that the package has the right set of prerequisites and that
> it didn't break any of its prerequisites.
>
> This does not figure out the prerequisites for you, but it tells you
> when you make a mistake, which is a lot better than we are doing now.

Yes well said. Squeak (and this is a complete guess) probably has relatively
low test coverage, I think that somewhat weakens the ability of tests to
discover that a "required predecessor" is missing, but coverage will improve
over time. Goran pointed out a test code coverage tool the 3.10 process could
employ at some point.

Milan