[V3dot10] v3dot10 wrapup?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 21:23:34 UTC 2007

[V3dot10] v3dot10 wrapup?

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for you response.

I am now a little officially confused.

To me wraping up implies coming out with a offical
3dot10 final.
My understanding is that this implies being a beta
stage where no MAJOR changes (that might introduce
major bugs) are allowed.

And then a gamma stage where even Minor enchancements
and fixes are excluded (presumable all that is allowed
is fixups to problems already introduced)

Then a release-candidate phase where no changes except
to fix showstoppers may be added. And then a neatly
warped up and offical 3dot10 is issued.

>From your response I get the impression that 3dot10 is
to remain in “accepting some fixes” mode for an
indefinite period of time. Maybe until the board does
something about appointing the next release team.

And I also sense from the emails dealing with Edgars
problems that MAJOR changes are proposed to get past
the problems introduced in trying to deal with MC1 as
an image maintenance tool.

Which to me, implies that 3dot10 is to remain in
alpha-forever-land which would be a disappointment and
a shame.

Where has my thinking gone wrong on this?

***
>Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
>Mon Jul 2 22:16:10 UTC 2007
>
>I sent e-mail to the board before the last board
meeting suggesting
>that it was time to solicit bids for 3.11, but I
didn't see anything
>about it.
>
>We could stop 3.10 once Edgar gets his latest
problems with MC
>resolved.  There are still a lot of bug fixes on the
to-do list at
>http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5934 and I imagine
we'll keep working on
>including them until 3.11 starts, though we really
ought to postpone
>anything major until 3.11.
>
>As Stephane warned us, MC has been a pain in the
neck.  I think it is
>still worth using, but it is designed to support
individual packages,
>not the image.  Perhaps MC2 will be better.
>
>So, the short answer is that we are ready to stop but
will keep going
>until there is someone who will take the torch.
>
>-Ralph
***