[V3dot10] Some notes on 7130

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jul 22 22:17:37 UTC 2007

Hi -

This is really the first time since I've looked at 3.10 so apologies if
these issues are known already or come relatively late but I couldn't
help but notice some oddities while I was looking at the problems that
Ralph had. Going over the history of what went into 7130 (which is
great, btw, *much* better than anything before it) I found the following
issues:

* 7086OpenWorkSpaceFix.cs
I would appreciate it if such changes could go directly into the proper
repositories (in this case http://squeaksource.com/ToolBuilder). Not
only does it make maintenance easier it also ensures that the code in
the image is in sync with the code in the repositories (which in this
case it isn't).

* 7092TTCFontDNUfix.cs
This "fix" is fundamentally incorrect and shows a lack of understanding
of how m17n works. It seems that the original causes were here described
in the bug reports at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5451 as well as
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5309 but the problem isn't a
confusion about "TextStyle defaultFont" vs. "TextStyle default" it's
that the implicit assumption inside #isFontAvailable is that the default
font is a StrikeFontSet (which does have a fontArray containing
encodings). I've reopened http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5309 for
this reason.

* 7109ChangesOrganizer-pk.cs
This actually duplicates work that I did for 3.9 and the ToolSet
abstraction. If you look at the class side of ChangeSet you'll find that
the entire protocol that is in ChangesOrganizer has been present in
ChangeSet for, oh about a year or so. It seems that the absence of any
defined process for integrating changes hit once again (the modification
of ChangeSorter was part of the original changes that I put forward for
being able to separate out ToolSets).

* 7110ChangeSorterNotes-wiz.cs
This broke the ability to move changes between two change sets in a dual
change sorter. To wit: In a dual change sorter, select any single method
and choose to "move method to other side". Boom.

So much for a quick scan of the changes. BTW, I really appreciate being
able to look at what was done - without the history I wouldn't have
found any of the above issues.

Cheers,
   - Andreas