[V3dot10] Announcing new VersionsBrowser and source condensing

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 26 05:12:33 UTC 2007

Maurice Rabb wrote:
> To be clear, I am NOT recommending using the source condensing stuff for
> the V3.10 release.  However, just the new VersionsBrowser and new
> ClassCoomentVersionsBrowser if the group finds it solid.  It works with
> the source and changes files as they currently are.  It is simply a
> replacement of the old VersionsBrowser.  It is a reader and does not
> change the source files.

I think that's a good approach.

> Regarding the VersionsBrowsers, with only a few exceptions, I made no
> changes to the core system.  I refactored a handful of method in
> PositionableStream and SequenceableCollections, and provided associated
> tests.  I also changed about ~half dozen methods that reference the
> VersionsBrowser class, and simply "touched" a ~half dozen others to
> force the recompiling of these methods.  The methods that reference the
> VersionsBrowser are all over the system, so that is why there are so
> many dependent packages even to it is just about a dozen call sites.

Are those changes to PositionableStream and SequenceableCollection
really necessary? We really need to stop doing these pet-modifications
of core methods for no other reason than "because we can". I'm willing
to give your changes a good workout but since I'd be using it in Croquet
I'm not going to take the risk of modifying PositionableStream and/or
core collection classes.

Cheers,
   - Andreas