[V3dot10] loading scripts via package universes

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 14:43:12 UTC 2007

>> It will be a step back to using file outs.

But fileouts are very useful!

I agree that it would be nice to have undo etc, but as I said before I
believe that this can still be achieved with the use of SystemEditor
and is motivation to get SystemEditor tested for real world use.

For scripts: I want to be able to put

download from: (Installer mantis bugFix: 474)

Into my universe should the need arise for a package to depend upon a
fix, which they frequently do.

Then we have the information captured as to what "really" is needed for
setting up an image in a given context. After all this is a
'development' universe, one wouldnt expect it to be as refined and
perfect as an end-user universe.

Secondly I can publish a package together with the "user interaction
automation" e.g.
download from: (Installer ss project:'Seaside'; answer: '*config*'
with:'admin'; install: 'Seaside2.8a1-kph.mcz').

Note, these are packages that I do not have control over the content.

Thirdly I can invoke different configurations/initializations of the
same package.

I maintain that it should remain an option at the discrection of the
universe maintainer.

best regards

Keith

p.s. In the long run I would like to this type of scripting stuff in my
'bob' image builder/tester tool