RV: [V3dot10] Do in a workspace and say if could build

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 04:50:56 UTC 2007

***
>RV: [V3dot10] Do in a workspace and say if could
build

>Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
>Tue Jun 19 01:26:22 UTC 2007
>
>This situation was painful for me the first time it
happened.  The
>Etoys-edc.23-with-a-different-UUID situation occurs
when "edc" works
>off of version 22 twice and saves two packages each
with the same name
>(23).
>
>I wish Monticello would handle this better, but at
least if one pays
>attention,

But what do you pay attention to?
How do you expect this error to get caught before one
(or everyone) comes across the gotcha?
Then once caught how do you repair it in the release
repository?

>you can rename the file when you save the second "23"
>put extra characters in the filename to ensure it is
unique from the
>other 23.  Then they can co-exist in the same
repository and be easily
>merged.

Hmmm. How do you merge two packages with different
file names.
Can you use this mechanism to merge sub-packages into
full-packages?

Ah. By extra characters you meant to the initials not
the package name. Is that correct?

Really good concrete examples (and near misses) would
be of great use.

>Multiple ancestors is normal, it occurs when an
additional version was
>merged in.
>

>On 6/18/07, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
>> Well, isn't this fun. ;)
>>
>> I tried this and all was going well until I got the
very same complaint
>> 'Could not find version...' for Etoys-edc.23.
Etoys-edc.25 has an
>> ancester Etoys-edc.23 with a different UUID than
the copy in the
>> repository... same story.
>>
>> And I notice something new, I'm not sure of the
value:  If you look at
>> either Etoys-edc.23 or Installer-Core-edc.85 each
claims itself as an
>> ancestor.  This does not appear to be normal.  This
may just confirm the
>> suspicion that these problems resulted from a
double uploading.

Cleene wrote:
>> > Correction
>> >

>> > ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10 new updatePackages:
'Compression-edc.12(ar.8).mcd
>> >  EToys-edc.27.mcz
>> > Files-edc.23(20).mcd
>> > Installer-edc.3.mcz
>> > Monticello-edc.314(311).mcd
>> >  SMBase-edc.88(86).mcd
>> > ScriptLoader-edc.326(sd.324).mcd
>> > System-edc.106(104).mcd
>> >  SystemChangeNotification-edc.2.mcz
>> > Tests-edc.28(26).mcd
>> > Tools-edc.84(79).mcd
>> > Universes-edc.23(ls.21).mcd'
>> >

>> > The PC seems happy building 7109 for now..
>> >
>> > Edgar
***