[V3dot10] Rio status

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 14:42:40 UTC 2007

On the road to a squeak version of auto-build I have had a good go at
implementing a replacement for FileDirectory as a proof of concept. (I
have ignored encoding in the initial implementation for simplicity.)

I cant think of a better name than 'Rio', the name seems to have stuck,
any suggestions for alternatives?

So far Rio implements more functionality than FileDirectory in about 27%
of the code, and I think that it is much nicer to use all round. (IMHO)

I have separated out a RioKernel with the essentials which is only 8k of
source as compared to FileDirectory's 86k. The idea being that at some
point the KernelImage can be ported to use the RioKernel, the rest of
Rio, and the legacy FileDirectory being loadable for those that want
them them. -  At least that is the theory.

If anyone is interested to have a look, it's in squeaksource/Rio in
packages Rio-Kernel, Rio-Core, Rio-Tests.

I have started to put together a set of use-case tests in RioKernelTest
to encapsulate the functionality that would be needed by a kernel image.

I have implemented platform specific behaviour using Traits, I am
seeking feedback on this as a technique, it works for me.

best regards

Keith