[V3dot10] Are all packages in Package Universe broken?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed May 9 23:11:50 UTC 2007

Hi Ralph,

On 5/9/07, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I've been trying to find a package in Package Universe that runs all
> the tests, and it is very hard.  I'm trying to make a system that
> makes sure that changes to the image don't break any of the packages
> already in Package Universe, but so far I can't find one where the
> tests aren't already broken.
>
> When I run the tests on squeak-dev, I get a syntax error on
> ChildrenToSiblingTest
> Syntax errors stop the test runner, so you can't run suites if one of
> the tests has a syntax errors.  After deleting that class, there were
> 10 failues and 30 errors in the Refactoring BrwoserTest hierarchy.

This isn't going to be much help, but it is very easy to modify SUnit to
catch syntax errors.  Here's what I did:

!TestResult methodsFor: 'running' stamp: 'eem 4/3/2007 14:10'!
runCase: aTestCase
    | testCasePassed |
    testCasePassed := true.
    [[aTestCase runCase]
            on: self class failure
            do:
                [:signal |
                failures add: aTestCase.
                testCasePassed := false.
                signal return: false]]
                    on: self class error, self class syntaxError
                    do:
                        [:signal |
                        errors add: aTestCase.
                        testCasePassed := false.
                        signal return: false].
    testCasePassed ifTrue: [passed add: aTestCase]! !

!TestResult class methodsFor: 'exceptions' stamp: 'eem 4/3/2007 14:10'!
syntaxError
    ^SyntaxErrorNotification! !

HTH

Lots of tests pop up a user interface, making them impossible to run