[V3dot10] Re: Monticello Mysteries

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 10 14:44:28 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On May 10, 2007, at 8:45 , Keith Hodges wrote:
>>  using the Monticello MCPackageLoader which does atomic loading of
>> methods.
>
> Which version does atomic loading?
Ralphs version in 3.10

He separates the compiling of a method from the installation in the image.
He collects the compiled methods to be added in a collection of
MethodAdditions, then installs them in one go.  See
MCPackageLoader-#basicLoad in 3.10

My Version ( http://www.squeaksource.com/391 )
This is a work in progress
I have attempted to merge all of the branches of Monticello and PackageInfo.
This includes latest fixes from wiresong and imapara branches, including
the PasswordManager.

(this will of course need testing)

The work I am progressing on is: to support out-of order loading of
packages (should be ready today)

This should enable a package to 'extend', and 'override' methods in not
yet loaded packages.
Such not actually loaded ('orphaned') extensions should save with the
package so as not to be lost.

It seems also that the impara branch of mc supports the recovery of
overridden methods, any methods which are 'extended' by another package,
and categorized with the -override suffix, should not be lost when you
save a package. (I wish someone had told me about this!)

I also want this to be loadable into 3.7 and 3.8, since I am using 3.8
for dev at the moment. See http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6476

best regards

Keith