[V3dot10] Re: testing and Package Universe

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun May 13 09:18:14 UTC 2007

This is real cool stuff, Ralph.  We could really use some automatic
regression testing.

In addition to testing packages on minimal loads, it would also be
nice to run tests when bunches of packages are loaded.  When I tested
out the 3.9 stable image, I found about five cases where two packages
worked fine by themselves, but one cause the other to break.

Ideally, the auto-tester would help us identify a version of each
package such that loading all of them still allowed all of the tests
to pass.  We are maybe not yet in a state, though, where there is
*any* such set of packages, even really old ones....  Once we get one
such set, however, then there will always be such a set, it just might
require using old packages.

Lex