[V3dot10] Font problems

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon May 21 10:21:30 UTC 2007

El 5/19/07 10:56 AM, "Diego Gomez Deck" <DiegoGomezDeck at consultar.com>
escribió:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> Changing TTCFont>>fallbackFont: method avoids the loop (and the vm
> crash).
>
> A better check for the loop condition (checking in the fallbackFont
> chain) could avoid other problems also.
>
> BTW, this simple fix allows to find which test is damaging the fonts.
>
>         TTCFont>>fallbackFont: aFontSetOrNil
>
> aFontSetOrNil == self
> ifTrue:[^ self error: 'Invalid fallback font'].
>
> fallbackFont := aFontSetOrNil.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Diego
>
> El vie, 18-05-2007 a las 07:49 -0500, Ralph Johnson escribió:
>> I've been having trouble running the tests for the last few weeks.
>> The image goes into an infinite loop and then crashes.  Whenever I
>> have been able to figure out why, it is always due to the TrueType
>> fonts.  In particular, sometime a TTCFont has itsself as its
>> "fallbackFont", and then methods like #ascent go into an infinite
>> loop.  I have solved that problem by redefining #fallbackFont: to
>> check for recursion.  This makes things work better, but I am still
>> getting a crash in FontTest.  Hoewver, when I try to isolate it, it
>> won't appear.
>>
>> The bug is frustrating because sometimes the tests work, and sometimes
>> they crash the image.  In general, if they work the first time then
>> they will not work the second time.  I have noticed that running the
>> tests changes the fonts used by the browser and other tools.  So, it
>> makes sense that running the tests twice will have a different result
>> if the tests depend on the environment in some way.
>>
>> I'm going to keep on working on this, but if I can't find out what is
>> causing the problems then we are going to backout all the changes to
>> fonts and see if that works better.  That would be too bad, because
>> the new fonts are much better looking than the old ones.  But
>> reliability is more important.  So, any help would be appreciated!
>>
>> Recently I've been working with Edgar's latest 7105 image at
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/
>>
>> -Ralph

Diego:
I have Mac PPC, I believe Ralph have Mac Intel.
Now I don't get hangs, but have the following errors.

#('FileListTest>>#testAllRegisteredServices' 'FontTest>>#testFallback'
'FontTest>>#testParagraphFallback' 'FontTest>>#testResetAfterEmphasized'
'LocaleTest>>#testIsFontAvailable'  'TestIndenting>>#testCR2'
'TestIndenting>>#testNewLineLeaveSpacesOnOldLine'
'TestIndenting>>#testNewLineStartsIndentedWhenWrapped'
'TestIndenting>>#testSetUp' 'WideStringTest>>#testSubstrings')

'LocaleTest>>#testIsFontAvailable' is expected, I have before and Ralph now
ab out, but the rest is new for me.