[V3dot10] stable 3.10 universe

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sun Oct 7 12:17:55 UTC 2007

I intend for there to be a stable 3.10 universe that goes along with
the 3.10 image.  Such a universe would have all known packages that
load into Squeak 3.10 and do not conflict with each other.

There are a couple of organizational issues involved with this.

1. It would be nice if 3.10 pointed to this universe by default.
   Thus, before making a final release, please change it from using
   the "development" universe to the "stable3.10" universe, like
   this:

     UUniverse switchSystemToUniverse: UUniverse squeak310Universe

   This universe is empty right now, but can be populated quickly
   without needing changes to the image.

2. No package in this universe should conflict with another.  I have
   thought long about how much I want to be involved in Squeak
   releases, and this is the one thing I really care about.  It's not
   a very good package universe if loading package A harms or even
   obliterates package B.  This includes the case of package "A beta"
   obliterating package "A" !

Thoughts?  There are many ways to satisfy rule 2, and I am happy with
pretty much any of them.  The simplest solution is to pick a single
version of each package.

To give some perspective, the 3.7 and 3.9 universe releases were
independently released images.  I would like it if the 3.10 image is
the first one that actually is a stable universes release.  I believe
we can make that happen given the interests of everyone that is
involved.

Lex