[V3dot10] SM going out?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Oct 9 11:27:01 UTC 2007

Hi!

> SM is not being removed from the base image in 3.10.  We removed a lot
> of things from 3.10, and it was one of the things that was a candidate
> for removal.  That is because we are moving things to Package Universe
> and letting people load them who want them.  If it were removed from
> the core image, it would still be in the squeak-dev image that most
> people are using who are developing.  Odds are good that it will be
> removed from a future core image.  But then, odds are good that
> Morphic will not be in the core, but will be an option that is easily
> loaded.  That implies that the core will have no browser, debuggers,
> etc.

Sure, I am well aware of the long standing goal of moving to a kernel etc,
so that is not what I was referring to.

I was more interested in what will be in the "basic" downloadable image
and the user experience from there.

On a related note I do think www.squeak.org could point to some of the
"distros" out there (and not only to the basic image) - like obviously
Damien's two images since they probably will constitute a more full end
user experience for a newbie.

> Of course, what will happen after 3.10 is all speculation.  But 3.10
> is not removing SM.

Ok. Just so that I am not misunderstood btw - I am still interested in
what will happen with SM - and I have tons of ideas - I just don't have
much time. So if anyone here has ideas and/or time to help - I am all
ears.

regards, Göran