[V3dot10] Fwd: Some Delay tweaks

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Sep 3 09:24:19 UTC 2007

El 9/3/07 5:35 AM, "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at gmail.com> escribió:

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andreas Raab
> <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
Date: 31 août 2007 05:52
Subject: Some Delay tweaks
To:
> The general-purpose Squeak developers
> list

Hi -

Just FYI, I've updated
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6576 with
another change set containing a
> few relevant tweaks to Delay. The most
important one is probably the one which
> ensures that Delays get
unscheduled if the process they wait for is
> terminated. The problem is
that delays which are scheduled are kept in the
> SuspendedDelays even
after "their" process terminates. So that, for example a
> "(Delay
forSeconds: 9999999) wait" (with an Alt-Period following it) would
> leave
that delay being scheduled for expiry 100 days from now although
> its
process is long gone.

The tweaks also ensure that delays which actually
> expire in
Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: don't get unscheduled twice
> (since
unscheduling is a linear search over all scheduled delays it should
> be
avoided).

Lastly, there is a bit of bullet-proofing to
> Delay>>handleTimerEvent
since each poll of the msecs clock has the potential
> to overflow and
needs to be guarded explicitly. The tweaks make sure there is
> only one
such poll and consequently only one place to check. Except from
> another
obscure situation which the change set addresses as well.

In any
> case, it's a nice roundup for the Delay changes. If you're using
the first
> one, you should probably use this one as well.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

--

Damien Cassou