[V3dot10] Re: Tentative of start 3.11

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jan 30 11:33:22 UTC 2008

El 1/29/08 7:33 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <tapplek at gmail.com> escribió:

> First of all, I am glad you are declaring 3.10 stable.
it's Ralph who should declare 3.10 stable, not me.
But the fact is 3.10 is same for about one and half month, I don't see
people complaining and the several mails to Ralph have no effect.

> However, I think it is a bad idea to start a new release without
> too much discussion. How about we arrange a meeting on #squeak
> at some time when we are all likely available, like Saturday, 2
> Feb at 1600 UTC or so, to discuss what we want 3.11 to be?

I throw this stone for wake up people who care about Squeak, like you.
Don't forget we have Smalltalks 2007 in Buenos Aires and several fine
Smaltalkers/Squeakers have long discussions in cafes.
I agree with open long discussion, I could hold it between 8 and 12
Argentina time , but don't sure about Saturday (I on move to new place
issues).
I confirm tomorrow about this.

> I agree that MinimalMorphic is a good agenda item for 3.11, but
> as Keith and I have been  and many folk down at #squeak have
> been discussing for a few months, I don,t think the release
> team should continue focusing on a single release, since that is
> NOT what squeak is. I summarized my position  in a previous
> mail, but I never got a response from you:

Very sorry if I miss important mail.
Remember me which one is .
About focusing on a single release, well, 3.10 was a Hercules job, so being
mere mortals how we could do several at the same time?
MinimalMorphic is the remarkable fruit of Pavel works, I have only very
minors disagree with he and we exchange ideas from time to time.
I said in others mails I see Morphic 3.0 as future of Squeak.
Long conversations with Juan convince me is better at this time he manage
his baby as fork.
And I wish some of Sophie toys inside Squeak, that is supposing Sophie is
free software created on top of Squeak .
They let some migrate to Squeak ?

> Keith can describe his goals with Level Playing Field better,
> but basically we will need version stewards for each supported
> version of squeak that the release team manages. Keith is doing
> a lot of work on 3.7, so he could manage that. You are very
> knowledgeable about 3.11 and FunSqueak, and could probably manage
> that. I am currently spending all of my time on Etoys on an XO,
> so I could steward updates into that release. That would leave
> 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, Croquet, and Sophie without stewards.

3.8.2 is the last and was maintained by Michael Rueger.
For me . could have more sense I take 3.8.2 and do my shrinks.
In effect , I have several experiments with this idea.
Meaning I created some images and have working.
I never discuss in public, as think nobody buys it

> Also, we should decide what we are going to put into the update
> stream, or leave it alone for now. MC wasn't working, I doubt
> installer scripts would be any better.

So I glad all know now same I know before 3.10 starts.
And sad alternatives to change sets don't ready yet.
I also have long talk with Colin and he promises finish MC2 and say MC2 is
better suited.
You said DeltaStreams don't works with Traits or I missunderstand some.
It's DeltaSteams ready ?

> What we have now is to different visions on how Squeak should
> proceed into 2008, and none of us really knows what the other is
> doing. Right now, the most important thing the release team
> needs is communication. Edgar is the 3.10 release team, and
> Keith, Goran, Randal, and I have been discussing the future a
> lot. Pavel and Ralph may have good things to say too. .
>
> I think a meeting is the biggest thing we need to do right now.
> How does 1600 UTC Saturday 2 February sound? IRC or Skype would
> probably be best.

Ok I have Skype, look me as edgardec.
Be patient with my lame English
I do my best sending mails, can't force others to communicate.
Also I explain to Keith, word TEAM is important.
If we have projects and people own each project, then another people don't
should mess.
This don't means any could do any with Squeak.
That is the essence of Squeak, in private we could change everything !
But for having success, we need work together.

Very glad Ralph, Pavel or Goran was in charge.
I only wish help and learn.

>> I put the interim image at
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10alpha/Squeak3.11.alpha.7160.zip
>
> I'll check it out soon. What is in it (or not in it)?

I use this as trigger, not as product.
But just you have to ask so...
I safe remove all Tests, Sunit, Universes,ScriptLoader,Installer.

I still refining for doing in one old change sets.
Just now some morphs need I remove by hand.
Some minor changes I need to document.

I intend remove of ftp as soon some more people agree about which direction
we must follow.

Read you