[V3dot10] Loading complicated packages in reduced images

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jun 25 12:39:43 UTC 2008

El 6/25/08 9:09 AM, "Keith Hodges" <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> escribió:

> It wasn't me...
>
> miracles are Gods job
>
> If you want something to work, I suspect there is no substitute for
> writing code and testing.
>
> Keith
Your version is a step forward in letting load incomplete packages.
For incomplete packages I mean some Classes could not be in the target
image.
Still working in some polish I need before adopt your Monticello version.
But as this is some which all modular or reduced or stripped images face, I
hope some comes with a wiser solution.
My brute force means all classes could be loaded from ftp, that's why I plan
have a CompressedSources dir into SqueakLightII dir.
We could not load the entire class, only the definition and the methods
needed.
What about Monticello Orphanage looking here to see if we have the missing ?
What about your logging used for tell us which packages lack which classes ?
And have a Dictionary populated with this info and saved into the ftp as
PackageNeeds.obj which could be loaded and manipulated into the image ?

Again I want simple solutions, no big changes with others Squeaks.
I plan have .obj, .morph for load , not only text files.
We was Squeak and not Perl (no offenses please ), so we should have the
objects advantage.

Take the opportunity to move to modular, be patient and I praise both of you
and Matthew for good work.

Just now we have a 2/3 size more modular system, still pre-alpha but working
for people in this list.

I hope at ESUG or Smalltalks 2008 we could have a system for be proud of.