[V3dot10] Other comments regarding 3.10.1gamma progress

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Tue May 13 20:49:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 19:58 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 5/12/08 5:28 PM, "Ken Causey" <ken at kencausey.com> escribió:
>
> > It seems to me that when a release team has a policy and has followed it
> > for the bulk of the process, then changing it for the minor releases is
> > not the best idea.  And especially changing it unilaterally and without
> > any notice.
> You got a point. I could do the .mcz for the change sets changing things.
> As I said, we just start to work together.
> My model for a team is of "The CRC Card Book" of Bellin and Suchman Simone.
> See page 32 Two is only compay, ten is a Crowd.
>
> If we agree on work together, each must have some rol and all should agree
> and be comfortable with.
>
> Edgar

OK, here's how I see it.  The old-style changeset-only method has some
points in its favor.  I'm not totally oppposed to changing it although
that really complicates things for anyone in the future who tries to
track down a problem if the history of the problem includes the
transition point (from ReleaseBuilder/MCZ to changesets).

But really we must decide now before issuing any more updates what we
are going to do.

1. Change back to ReleaseBuilder.  This would involve updating the
relevant packages in the 3.10 source.sqf.repository with the changes
that you recently made and then issuing at least one new update that
loads the relevant packages.  This update wouldn't really do anything
other than update the MCZ history as they would overwrite methods with
the exact same versions.

2. Continue using only changesets.

I don't have a strong opinion which way we go, but I must insist that we
decide now and stick to it for the future of all 3.10 development.

Does anyone else on this list have an opinion on the subject?

Ken