[V3dot10] Re: 3.10.1 release

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun May 25 23:11:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 16:59 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> El 5/24/08 11:57 AM, "Ken Causey" <ken at kencausey.com> escribió:
> > Edgar,
> >
> > Do you want to produce the 3.10.1 release image or shall I?
> If you xould wait until Thursday , I do.
> I'm busy with UTN next days

Well, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to just take care of it myself
so we can be done with this and hopefully release this on the intended
date.

> > Here's my list so far of what needs to be done:
> >
> > 1.  Issue a final update to change the SystemVersion to 3.10.1
> >
> > 2.  Generate the history of 3.10.1 window.  I'm thinking this should1048 @
> > include the full 3.10 and 3.10.1 history.  Do you have a utility method
> > you used to generate this or was it hand written?
> By hand at this time

OK, I've now done this and it was not too much trouble luckily since we
haven't included all that many updates to this version.

> > 3.  Resize the window to it's final size (800x600?)
>
> Don't sure, DisplayScreen actualScreenSize say 640 at 480, OLPC screen is
> 1048 at 768 ?

OK, I'd forgotten that the original size of the window for 3.10 was
640x480 since I use a tiling window manager.  That seems rather small to
me, even 800x600 seems small.  But I will think about it.

> > 4.  Check that the flaps are all appropriately sized and positioned
> They was now
> > 5.  Clean the image.  I see
> > ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10>>#makeSqueakThreeTenRelease but this needs to be
> > updated, at least to remove the stuff that sets the system version.
> >
> Read comment in class
>
> >>Once the 3.10 release cycle is over, this class will be useless except for
> >>tracking history.
>
> The whole class should be removed from 3.11.
> Now is in image but nobody needs it, except for people who could wish know
> the messing this release was

Hmm, yeah I didn't notice that comment but I myself wondered about the
inclusion of the various ReleaseBuilder classes
(ReleaseBuilderNihongo?).  I'm a bit troubled about this though.  I
really feel like that if someone takes an image and updates it fully
from the update stream up to a certain version, that with the exception
of maybe the changes file and displayed morphs, that it should be pretty
close to identical to the released image.  Again, something I need to
think more about.

> > 6.  Save the image then set filenames correctly: 'Squeak3.10.1-<last
> > update number>-basic.*.  Create the basic release zip file, named
> > appropriately.
> >
> > 7.  Rebuild the platform release files appropriately.
>
> Unsure about this , you mean a new dir and subdirs for all OS ?
> Or ?

No new directory but just as we will add a new
Squeak3.10.1-7175-basic.zip to the ftp.squeak.org/3.10/ directory
similarly the mac and win platform directories include a single download
zip file which includes everything needed: vm, changes, image, sources,
etc.  New versions of these will need to be built.

Ken