About unstable

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Apr 3 20:46:00 UTC 2005

On 3 avr. 05, at 22:23, Doug Way wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:08 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> hi doug and others
>>
>> I pushed some items in the 3.9.
>> Self evaluating objects, some fixes of alexander laza, and some
>> pendings cleans of Utilities.
>
> Sounds good.  Thanks for the old scrollbar instance fix (that was a
> nasty one), I was about to work on that.
>
>> Now what I plan to do is to push items on 3.9 unstable and announce
>> it so that people have the time to look at them.
>
> Actually, don't add anything to the unstable stream just yet.  It
> needs to be made in-sync with the stable stream before we start using
> it.  I will take care of this shortly, and I'll announce it and then
> we can start using that stream.
>
> Also, I don't think we should use the unstable stream for adding new
> ideas that we're not sure about (although I don't know what items you
> were thinking of adding).

No this was not my point
but now manits is getting a bit in our way, so I think that if I
publish the KCP changes on mantis the chances that they will be
reviewed will be even less than with BFAV.

I really think that mantis is bad. It is getting in my way.

> Dangerous/unstable changes are okay, but the unstable stream shouldn't
> be an area to try out things that we're still deciding on.  Basically
> everything in the unstable stream will always move to the stable
> stream, unless it causes major breakage.

Sure

>  We'll use it in the same way Squeak Central used it.  So in that
> sense, our unstable stream is very different from Debian Unstable or
> something like that.

Sure this was not my point. This was to make sure that we do not break
on normal beta tester.