Defining the damn 3.9 process! (was Re: SqueakFoundation money)

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:01:14 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote:
> [...] but not one proposes a concrete solution!

I thought at least one of my postings had a very concrete solution
proposal. But it might have gotten lost in the flurry of debate.

> (ii) Assigning issues: After an issue has been reported, there need
> to be some dispatcher, a responsible person that regularly checks new
> issues and assigns them to the responsible Steward team.

The Janitors seem to be the team for that (i.c. Ken Causey). And
they're already doing that.

> [...] (only committing to the inbox does not work!).

Why not?

> I would suggest to maintain a wiki where each team can
> put items that need to be integrated. This is to keep track of them,
> in addition, email between the teams should work.

Why not use Mantis for this? I am not an expert user of Mantis, but a
good bug/ticketing system should support these kinds of workflows.

> - since probably several packages are touched, the responsible
> Stewards teams are informed so that they can review what gets in.

Hmm... I'm not too happy with that. I think teams should be involved
in these tasks on a higher level - after all, they'll be responsible
for the end result, so they should have more of a say than a simple
yes/no vote.

But then, this is something out-of-the-ordinary anyway, not really
useful to start a big debate on - the regular bugfixing process is
what needs to be bugfixed first :)

> On Mantis I really have problems to follow what
> happens. E.g., I would like to have a RSS feed of any changes (I miss
> that since they do not appear anymore in the mailing list).

That's probably a matter of reporting. One issue I raised on the IRC
channel last night is whether we don't want to run our own Mantis
instance, so we can hack at will at it. At the moment, it's all a bit
of a black box and if we want to change something, we need to ask
Impara where every question can get a yes or a no depending on whether
Impara wants to invest time/effort, whether it doesn't interfere with
their other products they use Mantis for, etcetera.