restart 3.9

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Jun 11 23:07:40 UTC 2005

I suppose at this point it may be best just to start from 3.8 again (as
you're suggesting), since that includes all of the String rework.

I'm not sure if Diego's changes would be that hard to optimize or not.
But in any case, he would need to become actively involved to make that
happen, and if he's not, well sometimes the community has to move on.

There are a few other miscellaneous small enhancements in the current
(old) 3.9alpha stream that weren't added to 3.8, that we'll want to make
sure we don't lose.  (For example, 6535dupAllCtrlAltKeys and a few
others.)

If we do officially decide to start 3.9alpha over again from 3.8final,
we should probably rename the old 3.9alpha stream to something else
(which is easy to do in the updates.list file, see
http://update.squeakfoundation.org/external/updates/updates.list ).
Maybe name it 3.9alphaold or something.  Kind of like how 3.3beta was
orphaned, except in this case we'd start 3.9alpha over again.

- Doug