restart 3.9

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sun Jun 12 23:31:21 UTC 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 3:40 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> On 12 juin 05, at 1:07, Doug Way wrote:
>
>> I suppose at this point it may be best just to start from 3.8 again
>> (as
>> you're suggesting), since that includes all of the String rework.
>
> Yes this is what we did
>
>> I'm not sure if Diego's changes would be that hard to optimize or not.
>> But in any case, he would need to become actively involved to make
>> that
>> happen, and if he's not, well sometimes the community has to move on.
>
> true

Ok, I should be writing up a v3.9 team report sometime soon, so I will
mention that, as a tentative plan, we will try restarting from 3.8
again.

And of course moving to a possible MC-based model looks like it will be
a big change soon which I'll mention, although that is mostly the
Packages team.

>> There are a few other miscellaneous small enhancements in the current
>> (old) 3.9alpha stream that weren't added to 3.8, that we'll want to
>> make
>> sure we don't lose.  (For example, 6535dupAllCtrlAltKeys and a few
>> others.)
>
> Alex started to go over all the fix of 3.9 and checked the one that
> did not load

Ok.  Anyway, once 3.9alpha is restarted for real (probably with the
MC-based experiment), then we will finish that.  (It's helpful if Alex
can keep track of which ones work and don't work in 3.8, at least.)

>> If we do officially decide to start 3.9alpha over again from 3.8final,
>> we should probably rename the old 3.9alpha stream to something else
>> (which is easy to do in the updates.list file, see
>> http://update.squeakfoundation.org/external/updates/updates.list ).
>> Maybe name it 3.9alphaold or something.  Kind of like how 3.3beta was
>> orphaned, except in this case we'd start 3.9alpha over again.
>
> Ok for me I think that we can simply throw away 3.9alpha images
> but reuse the stream and  build from 3.8

Marking the old stream as 3.9alphaold is actually very easy.  I would
just hand-edit the updates.list file to change the #3.9alpha marker to
#3.9alphaold, and then we would add a new #3.9alpha marker further down
in the file (which would start from 3.8).

- Doug