The 3.9 update stream

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Mar 21 05:05:33 UTC 2005

On Saturday, March 19, 2005, at 02:40 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> So how do we proceed to push stuff in 3.9?

(Sorry, I was just trying to catch up with the Packages list which I
haven't been following closely until just now.  That will have some
impact in 3.9...)

But anyway, for fixes and small enhancements (that we know should go
in) we should start adding them to the 3.9 stream to get it going again.

I'd like to stick to my plan of using the unstable stream, which I
guess I need to formalize and post on the 3.9 wiki page.  But it's not
too complicated, we'll just use the unstable stream, and then
periodically move updates to the regular stream (which is easy, and I
can do at first).

Have you used the "broadcast as update" method (from the filelist) for
adding updates, or were you hand-editing the updates.list file?  You
should use "broadcast as update", it's much simpler, and is working
now.  To broadcast an update, select a changeset in the FileList,
select "broadcast as update" from the pop-up menu, and then select
"Unstable Squeak Updates*" from the server list which comes up.  (I
will add a 3.9a update soon which adds a warning if you try to
broadcast directly to the "Squeak Public Updates" stream since you
aren't really supposed to do that.)  Then it asks for the id/pw. (which
is why it's safe for me to post these instructions on a public list ;) )

> in particular for the code that is maintained in MC format. Should we
> download it
> and extract the .st file so that the update stream does not depend on
> other servers
> such as squeaksource. I think that we should do it that way for the
> extension of bert, and the fixes
> I did with alex of printing.

Yes, I guess you should convert the MC file to a changeset first.  The
easy (only?) way to do that is to create a new changeset (in your
current 3.9a image) and make changes go to it, then install the MC
file, then file out the changeset.  Then broadcast the changeset. (make
sure it has a preamble etc)

> Also we should pay attention that changes people are doing do not rot.
> I would like to start to
> finish the clean to systemDictionary and this will impact of a lot of
> code. So my plan is to always
> work in 3.9 updated.

Ok.  Well, let's get the update stream going with some simple
fixes/enhs first, though.  But we can discuss the SystemDictionary
changes when you are ready.

And another short-term objective for me is to finish catching up on the
Packages list and see about giving some of them access to the update
stream. (depending on if/how they use the update stream)

- Doug