The 3.9 update stream

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Mar 23 18:38:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:25:29 +0100, "stéphane ducasse"
<ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> said:

> On 22 mars 05, at 4:28, Doug Way wrote:
>
> > On Monday, March 21, 2005, at 02:51 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
> >> Now my question is that how do we restart, take a 3.8 image and how
> >> do we mark it as 3.9 alpha?
> >> Because we need to do that to replay the changes or should we rename
> >> the changes first?
> >
> > Er, well, I don't think you would want to take a current 3.8gamma
> > image and mark it as 3.9alpha, they have forked too far apart at this
> > point I'd say.
>
> Why? I do not really understand. Do you mean that we do not want to
> have all the fixes that are in 3.8 into 3.9?

Actually, all of the fixes that are in 3.8 are already in 3.9... Michael
has been adding them to both streams (as far as I know).

Ok, I see what you were trying to do.  But in this case, 3.9 should have
all of the latest fixes from 3.8.

(And once an n+1 release branches from the n release (e.g. 3.9alpha from
3.8beta), we should not encourage anyone to try to switch their image at
a later point, e.g. changing a 3.8final image to a 3.9alpha image.  That
creates a lot of headaches because all of the early 3.9alpha changes
would be missing (Diego's changes).  It looks like the 3.8beta->3.9alpha
branch happened at update #6351.)

> > Anyway, what were you trying to do? :-)
>
> Just get a 3.9alpha in which I can work.

So, to do that, you should get 3.9alpha from the squeak.org (uiuc) ftp
site.  (Or, you could start with a pre-6351 3.8alpha image and go
through all the updates, and move to 3.9alpha when it asks you.)

- Doug