we would like to integrate network

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Feb 9 09:13:05 UTC 2006

Hi Marcus!

Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> On 06.02.2006, at 10:26, goran at krampe.se wrote:
> > The only reason for me not having pushed this (having been the Network
> > team leader) is that I wanted to do a bit more and give it to you
> > in one
> > bite. Now, Cees is the new combo team I/O leader so he would have to
> > give you the "ok" to push these if we should play by the book.
>
> The problem with that is that this means that even simple things don't
> get integrated soon... I am a big fan of *very* fast integration.

I am too - but a team must be able to share work within the team
*before* pushing it to the release team. Don't you agree?
Otherwise there is no team in practice. I wanted feedback on my fixes
from the other members - and I wanted to be able to put them together in
a single MC for integration. I think that the "overall speed" would be
faster - sure, small fixes will have a lead time to get in - but if we
look at number of fixes over time I firmly believe in the team model to
scale better.

And another important thing - when I wrote that code I felt much more
able to actually change stuff - since I am part of the official
maintainer team. Earlier I have never felt fully confident in changing
other people's code - this is a very important effect I think in order
to get Squeak "cleaner". Ownership enables people to actually dare to
throw out cruft.

> The Teams model right now seems to be great for complex stuff, but
> especially the small things are kind of slowed down, especially
> if we adopt the "nobody touches it besides the maintainer" that a lot
> of people argued for.

Mmmm, well, I am a bit "split" on this. I also favor very fast short
development models - but I think we need to try to work within the team
model with "ownership" in order to attract people to do that work. But
we can make it "as fast as possible" of course.

I am not sure if Cees has given green light for the MCs I pointed to -
but I assume he would unless he has missed this posting.

And IIRC the MCs I pointed to are fine enough to integrate.

regards, Göran