[Vm-beginners] Re: Fwd: Oops - I put a halt in a startup method

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:24:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Luc Fabresse <luc.fabresse at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/12/6 Sean P. DeNigris <sean at clipperadams.com>
>

>> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
>> >
>> > You are lucky that since your problem is in the startup list, then the
>> > CompiledMethod was not yet converted to machine code.
>> >

>> Will you explain further? I don't understand.
>>

> IIUC, he meant that it worked the method has not been jitted yet.

Exactly. Beacuse since it is in the startup list, I guess it hasn't yet
been jitted (normally, a method is jitted the second time it is used, that
is, when it is found in the method cache).
Do a test: once the image has started, send (by hand) such message you were
avoiding in the startup list and you will see it won't stop ;)

Once a method has been jitted, the VM doesn't go by #normalSend but rather
from something like #ceSend: selector super: superNormalBar to: rcvr
numArgs: numArgs
or friends.

If you want to be able to intercep MOST of the method execution, you have
to at least trace in the same places of the senders of #sendBreak:
selectorString point: selectorLength receiver: receiverOrNil

Cheers

> #Luc
>

>> --

Mariano