[Vm-beginners] Two Questions

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri May 13 02:47:52 UTC 2011

1. Why is #dispatchOn:in: , which looks to be the heart of
Interpreter>>#interpret,  in a subclass InterpeterSimulation? That class
is likely only used if there is a simulation going on, yet the essential
#dispatchOn:in: is in the subclass, where I'd suppose it can't be reached.

2. What is the specialObjectsOop? It's a number. OK, what what is the
context of that number? It's not some memory address in RAM, because I
think we're abstracted above that. And the oopMap I'm looking at
MicroSqueak is an IdentitySet. Something is amiss here. This
specialObjectsOop is not fish (RAM memory) and it's not fowl (an object).

I'd suppose the point of the specialObjectsOop is as a starting point.
You load the SpecialObjectsArray into the ObjectMemory and I guess you
do that by saying "start here" with the specialObjectsOop. What is the
context of that number? Is there a bank of addresses in the object
memory or interpreter that simulate the memory addresses of the RAM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Chris