[Vm-beginners] Two Questions

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri May 13 18:23:05 UTC 2011

Ok, yea. I see that. At some point Alice has to go down the rabbit hole.
The depiction of events in Smalltalk has to stop making sense at some
point. So, #dispatchOn:in: ceases to refer to things on this level of
abstraction.

For the second question, I think I've been having a problem grokking
what ObjectMemory is. What's the depiction of memory between regular
objects as I see them in a browser and the RAM? Hmmm... that'd be
ObjectMemory itself.

MicroSqueakImageBuilder creates a ByteArray. That gets pulled into
ObjectMemory>>#memory. And the #specialObjectsOop gets pulled in from
the same ByteArray. (Well, it's a binary at this point.)

In the same way that MicroSqueakImageBuilder saved a ByteArray and it
became a fresh, new image. After we've changed the state of the image,
and we Snapshot&Quit, I guess the contents of Object>>#memory get filed
into that same image with altered state.

Thanks,

Chris