[Vm-beginners] Installing on CentOS 5

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 28 16:18:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 09:00:34AM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> What's the best (easiest) way to install the Squeak VM on CentOs 5? This is
> what I found out so far:
> * There are prebuilt versions for "Intel x86 GNU/Linux" & "Intel x86
> FreeBSD" at http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
> * .rpm files are mentioned, but do not seem to exist for current versions.

CentOs is based on Red Hat, so I would expect that either
Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.tar.gz or Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.sh
would work fine. The shell script version is probably more convenient
for installation.

For Cog, follow the links from squeakvm.org to Binary Releases, which
will take you to Eliot's binary distributions. Don't worry about the
"experimental" warning, the Cog VMs are widely used and are significantly
faster than the standard interpreter VM. It's perfectly OK to install
both, although both will try to install themselves as /usr/bin/squeak,
so you'll want to rename one of the shell scripts (I use /usr/bin/squeak
and /usr/bin/cog).

Igor is also building VMs for the Pharo project, and installation
instructions for those may be different.

HTH,
Dave