[Vm-beginners] Got "Error: basicNew: failed" when running InterpreterSimulator

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:37:31 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Nick. <nick.lsts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> In the past few days i tried to get InterpreterSimulator running without
> success.
> First of all, a little context about my goal: I'm digging into the VM
> because i would like to be able to delegate to some class (that I'll
> develop) the responsibility for, say, the method lookup algorithm.
>
> With that in mind, here's what i've been doing:
> Using the Pharo 1.2 image Mariano Peck's prepared in his exellent article
> (http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/how-to-debug-the-vm/),
>  loaded
> the VMMaker package with the following script:
>
>    Deprecation raiseWarning: false.
>        Gofer new
>        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>        package: 'ConfigurationOfCog';
>        load.
>    (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCog) project latestVersion load.
>
> Once it finishes (without errors) I "Save As" the current image as
> "demo.image", close it and open the original Pharo 1.2 image that Mariano
> provided.
> When, for example, I run:
>
>    (CogVMSimulator new openOn: 'demo.image') test
> or
>    (InterpreterSimulatorLSB new openOn: 'demo.image') test
>
> I get the following error: "Error: basicNew: failed" (see attached images
> at
> the end).

Weird.  Something I remember about the simulator is that you need to run it
with a VM that has the BochsIA32Plugin. Try Eliot's VM that will have it for
sure. But anywya, I doesn't look related to your particula problem.

> When I tried to load VMMaker in the Pharo 1.3 OneClick release, I got
> another error (see attached images at the end).

Yes, because you need some changes in order to make it work. I have attached
those changes in the post. But those changes should be already integrated in
latests Pharo 1.3.
You don't have that error in the image I put of 1.2 because that image comes
already with such changes.

> Am I doing something wrong?
> Are those the right simulators to use? I can tell the difference between
> all
> that are available in VMMaker package.

Well...it depends on what you want. FOr example, if you build a stack VM
then you should use instead StackInterpreterSimulator. So..for the Cog VM I
guess it is CogVMSimulator.

If you go to here: http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/
you can see
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/VM%20Simulation%20Workspace.text
It might be outdated, but it can be a start point.

cheers

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Nick
>

> http://forum.world.st/file/n3835723/error_while_trying_to_run_InterpreterSimulator.png