[Vm-beginners] Re: Why Are Only Some Sources Generated

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Fri Mar 27 11:37:36 UTC 2015

David T. Lewis wrote
> this is a matter of what is most convenient and comfortable
> for the person who is writing the platform code...

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I started thinking about this because I was patching the VM's mouse wheel
event simulation and could only find the code for Mac, where the file name
was "sq...events.m". For Windows and Linux, I later found out via the
mailing list that the proper files were "sqWin32Window.c" and
"vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c", neither of which stand out to me as
particularly event-related (although maybe I was biased by finding a file
called "events" first.

Then, I was extracting some magic constants as #defines and couldn't figure
out exactly where to put them in the huge (from a Smalltalk perspective)
files. This was equally true for a few functions I extracted.

Anyway, it made me wonder whether we couldn't benefit from Smalltalk. It
seems like parts could be simulated to verify the logic. And the tools might
give the code some structure and brows-ability. Especially since C source
files probably scare much of the community away from attempting to
contribute.

-----
Cheers,
Sean