[Vm-beginners] aarch64 squeak-vm

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Dec 3 18:24:13 UTC 2018

Greetings,

I have not done much in C for a couple of decades, so those bits have evaporated, but am taking a shot at getting squeak-vm(s) up on aarch64/arm64 Linux.

The current Debian package runs in 64 bit mode on ARM and I have been able to build a working images from source on a Armbian/aarch64/Linux machine (LePotato/AML-S905X-CC).

  https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-sugar-team/squeak-vm
with patches:
  https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-sugar-team/squeak-vm/tree/master/debian/patches

This is a superannuated (2012?) squeak-vm-4.10.2.2614, but does run in 64 bit mode on ARM.  So I have a proof of concept.  Runs Cuis/Squeak fine (but slow).

I "git cloned" oscogvm and added case aarch64:Linux:*:* to
  oscogvm/platforms/unix/config/config.guess

But the C compiler (gcc) is getting confused by some x86 compile flags.

I am running oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur/build/mvm

[config.log attached].

The proximate cause is handing configure the flag "TARGET_ARCH=-m64", but it has been long enough that I have little idea where or how this script is processed.

Can some kind soul help me get a bit further here?

Thanks a bunch!

--
-KenD