[Vm-beginners] aarch64 squeak-vm

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Fri Dec 7 17:24:31 UTC 2018

To recap,

I was able to build the older Debian package (4.10.2.2614) and, with a
simple addition to config.guess, the Squeak.Org vm (4.16.5-3765) under
aarch64 Armbian Linux.   This withOUT 32 bit libs.

I have started down the trail toward
oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur.

The build/mvm file has x86 flags ("TARGET_ARCH=-m64" "-msse2"), and I need
to set a number of flags, based on email with Tim (Thanks!) to set
__arm64__ and ARM64 and adjust sqUnixMain.c for aarch64.

Given that I have not done C/Bash/Make for a couple of decades, any help in
deciding where these flags are set and which of the 4736 gcc flags need to
be set would be most welcome.  The "-march=native" flag certainly won't do
for a cross-platform build.

So the proximate bits I see are
  [1] what flags should be set in mvm (cross-plartform)
  [2] what flags set in config.guess
  [3] what aarch specifics are needed in sqUnixMain.c (and possibly
platform/unix/vm/include_ucontext,h)

After that, of course, is squeak.cog.spur and relearning gdb, sigh.

Just muddling through,
-KenD