[Vm-beginners] ioHighResClock

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 20:50:10 UTC 2018

Hi Ken,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 2:06 PM Ken.Dickey <Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> With the obvious preceding hacks, I now get
>
> unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.o:190:3:
>   #error "no high res clock defined"
>
> What is the recommended fix/workaround?

Most processors supply some high frequency inaccurate clock.  The idea here
is to find out what ARM64 defines and to provide access to it.  But if you
read the code you'll see that apparently the ARM6 doesn't have such a
clock, in which case the function answers 0.  So you can simply extend the
define to cover ARM8.

A word to TimR; the lack of such a clock means that Andreas' profiler won't
work properly.  We should think about this, either not using the clock and
using utcMicrosecondsNow, or perhaps falling back on utcMicrosecondsNow if
the processor-specific high resolution clock is unavailable.

> Thkx,
> -KenD

best, Eliot