[Vm-beginners] aarch64 stack spur progress

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 07:00:41 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM <ken.dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> Small progress.
>
> I now have a squeak which runs spur format images on arm64 with only 64
> bit libs:
>
>     sqstkspur64linuxht/lib/squeak/5.0-20181206231/*
>
> This is a proof of concept, as I hacked several files to get here,
> basically for null cases.
>
> In particular, I have a custom "mvm" which sets opts
>   -D__arm64__
>   -D__ARM_ARCH_8A__
> and
>   TARGET_ARCH="-march=armv8-a"
>
> which are used in "sqUnixMain.c" and "sqUnixHeartbeat.c"
>
> And of course I added a trivial case to config.guess
>     aarch64:Linux:*:*)
>     echo ${UNAME_MACHINE}-unknown-linux-gnu
>     exit 0 ;;
>
> This compiled and ran OK on LePotato (AML-S905X-CC) soc, tested with
> Cuis5.0-3485.image.
>
> Armbian:aarch64:~ >>> uname -a
>  Linux spud 4.14.70-meson64 #269 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 19 11:21:29 CEST 2018
> aarch64 GNU/Linux
>
> How do I make this regular/harmless?  What testing? ...
>
> I was thinking perhaps the "mvm" in
>   oscogvm/build.linux64x64/squeak.stack.spur/buildARM64/

The idea is to add a build.linux64ARM64 or build.linux64ARMv8.  The scheme
is to have build."OperatingSystemName""WordSize""ProcessorName". Why on
earth would you want to squeeze the ARMv8 build into the x86_64/x64 build?
It doesn't belong there.

List all the build.foo directories and see if they make sensor to you.
Then you can add build directories for the ARMv8 builds that follow the
scheme and don't involve you violating the convention.  I believe the
convention is discussed in README.md

HTH

> Thanks again,
> -KenD