[Vm-beginners] Steps toward aarch64 Cog [FFI]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 19:20:16 UTC 2018

Hi Ken,

    I have a suggestion.  Instead of initializing WordSize from Smalltalk
wordSize I would create two subclasses with a wordSize method, hardcoded as
^4 and ^8 respectively.  We want to be able to simulate any of the
processors on any platform, hence we can simulate x64 on the 32-bit version
and x86 on the 64-bit version as well as 32-bit processors on 32-bit
versions and 64-bit processors on 64-bit versions.  So structuring the ARM
FFI as an abstract subclass with a subclass responsibility for wordSize,
along with two subclasses for 64 & 32 bits will give us that flexibility.

Where a wordSize define would make sense would be
in platforms/Cross/plugins/IA32ABI/*ARM*, although you might want to review
the code first and see if #ifdef or splitting the files into 32 and 64-bit
versions is cleaner.

--
best, Eliot